Thursday, May 25, 2017

Laura Geller Simply Lovely Set Review

unboxing-of-laura-geller-simply-lovely-set.jpg


Laura Geller's Simply Lovely set is a 4 piece collection for the eyes, cheeks and lips.
It contains a Baked Gelato Swirl Blush in Rosewater, a Baked Gelato Vivid Swirl Eyeshadow in Caramel, a Love Me Dew Lip Crayon in Mango Sorbet and a double ended sponge and blush brush.

whats-inside-of-simply-lovely-set.jpg

I found the set at my local marshall on clearance for $21.
It was opened and was missing the brush but that was the only item in the collection that I could care less about. Otherwise all the other products were in pristine condition. The set retails on laurageller.com for $45 and just the lip crayon itself cost $16, so this was such a steal. And it turns out I love all the items in the set.

barbie-pink-blush-swirl-with-golden-sheen.jpg


I've always had my eyes on the baked gelato swirl blush because of its rave reviews and beautiful swirl pattern. The swirls are so pretty and mesmerizing that I almost didn't want to use it. After staring at it for a while, I swatched them but was disappointed that the colors weren't pigmented enough. I had to purposely rub my fingers into the product to build the swatches up so that they are more distinct. However that is not to say the product were bad. I could tell the product is high quality and finely milled. The products are so fine that I could barely see the particles on my blush brush and it blends so beautifully.

Laura Geller's Baked Gelato Swirl Blush in Rosewater looks like a warm light pink color in the pan but once swatched, you can tell that it's more blue based. However on my face, the color is a more rosy color. The actual color on my face looks more like the darker plum color on the stock photo for the blush than the color in the pan. Which is funny because color from stock photos are almost never accurate but this is an exception to the case.

The texture of the blush is definitely a powder but because it so finely milled, it feels more like a cream and blends seamlessly. I find that my sonia kashuk blush brush doesn't pick it up easily and the color needs to be builded up in order to see the color on my face.

Yellow-golden-shimmer-eyeshadow


Laura Geller's Baked Gelato Vivid Swirl Eyeshadow in Caramel is a yellow toned, light gold highlight. Like the blush, it's also finely milled with a texture that more closely resembles a cream. There is absolutely no fallout or disco ball look with this eyeshadow. I find that the color builds more easily with your fingers rather than a brush. I use this most often as an inner tear duct highlight and on the center of my eye to bring some light to my eyes. For me this color is a tiny bit too yellow as a highlighter as most of the highlighter I use are champagne colored but I think most people won't notice. I think it would be a beautiful metallic eyeshadow when builded up to full opacity on darker skin tones.Even though it is labeled as an eyeshadow, I think it would work more as a highlighter. Beauty gurus online have said that Caramel looks exactly like Laura Geller's Baked Gelato Swirl illuminator in Gilded Honey.

sheer-reddish-pink-lip-crayon.jpg

Laura Geller's Love Me Dew Lip crayon in Mango Sorbet is a warm reddish pink lip crayon. It has enough moisture and is thick enough that the color does not bleed. It's sheer but buildable with a shiny finish. Yes it is a bit waxy but not unbearably. As you can see in the photo below, the color is warmer than the color printed on the cover of the box. It is pigmented enough on my lips that I don't need to layer a stain underneath. It wipes off easily after eating or drinking and fades away after 3-4 hours. Compared to the Lip Gloss Stick in Berry Pretty that I got from the Pur Cosmetics Freedom Collection, Laura Geller's Lip Crayon is softer, has more moisture and more pigmented.

real-lip-crayon-versus-on-box.jpg

It took multiple swipes and application to achieve the color of the blush and eyeshadow that you see below. The lip crayon took only 2 swipes. There is a little fleck from the first time swiping the blush, but on my face, there is absolutely no glitter flecks.
real-lip-crayon-versus-on-box.jpg
from left to right: Love Me Dew Lip crayon in Mango Sorbet, Baked Gelato Vivid Swirl Eyeshadow in Caramel, and Baked Gelato Swirl Blush in Rosewater
What surprised me the most was after taking all the photos of the swatches, I headed out to eat and just rubbed the makeup off with a tissue. The blush color was stained onto my hand. I was surprised at the lasting ability of the blush since I had such a hard time getting the color to show up in the swatches.

Overall this was an amazing purchase. The colors look good on me and is perfect for spring and summer to look lovely. There is no item in this set that is unusable. If you see it at marshall on sale, definitely pick it up. The color would work on many skin tones. The blush might not show up on dark skin though.

This is my first purchase from Laura Geller and I am impressed. Will definitely try out more products from them in the future. 

Here's a photo of me wearing all the products on my face. Please ignore that piece of stray hair and my dark circles. 



Have you found some amazing beauty steal at Marshalls?

Thanks for reading,





SaveSaveSaveSave

2 comments:

  1. i need to stop by Marshalls! i had no idea they sold Laura Geller. you look lovely!

    kileen
    cute & little

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I love your blog. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment :)

      Delete