Thursday, July 3, 2014

OPI Nail Lacquer in Double Decker Red Review

Happy July 4th everybody. I have a July 4th nail idea that I want to share with everybody :)


red white and blue nail art


Our city was suppose to hold our annual July 4th firework on friday, but due to hurricane Arthur, they decided to move the fireworks up a day. I decided to stay up late and finish my nail art for July 4th.

I will be reviewing OPI's Double Decker Red which is used to create my fourth of July nail.

deep fire engine red OPI nail color

OPI's Double Decker Red is a creme in a dark fire engine red. The color actually isn't as bright red as seen in the picture but about a shade darker. The lacquer is watery, so applies thinly, which I like because that allows it to dry quickly in about a minute. By the time I finish applying the first coat to my right hand, my left hand is already dried and I can apply a second coat. I only needed two coat to achieve opacity. However, I am disappointed at the finish. Most of OPI's color has such nice shine that I don't need to apply a top coat to it. The finish of Double Decker is shiny, but looks dull and I wasn't getting that freshly minted feeling. On my pinky, it looks shiny but on my second and third finger, it looked dull. Despite that, I would still recommend Double Decker Red if this is the color you like. The color lasted 5 days before chipping.


Summary:

PROS: 

  • Dries Quickly
  • opaque with 2 coats

CONS:

  • Finish is not as shiny as I would have liked


four nail polishes in the colors red white blue and glitter
(from left to right) Sally Hansen's Twinkle Twinkle, Orly's In The Navy, Orly's White Tips,  OPI's Double Decker Red


Other colors that I used to create this look is Orly's french tip nail lacquer in White Tips, Orly's In the Navy (which I reviewed here), Sally Hansen's Hard as Nail Extreme Wear in Twinkle Twinkle for the glitter accent, and I finished it off with Borghese's Brilliante base and top coat.

I put two coats of the base color before applying designs to the nails. On the ring finger, I used a toothpick to position the glitter. I find that it's easier to apply the glitter polish on to a piece of paper in order to fish out the glitter and place it on the nail.

On the thumb I dotted the circles with a Q-tip, let the color dry before putting on another color. I have a dot tool for nail art from Sally Hansen, but the circles came out too small so I switched to using Q-tips.

thanks for reading

What red nail polish do you use? Any great nail polish that you can recommend me? Please comment below :)

Happy Fourth of July,

VanillaDreamCream



No comments:

Post a Comment